Sunday, January 7, 2024

Sun Dec 31, 2023-Sat, Jan 6, 2024

Sunday, December 31: AM. Ran two loops around Lake Wingra in 90 mins, then ran 10,000m on a slippery, snow-dusted Edgewood track in 39:35.  Running total ~30k in ~2 hours 10 mins.  It was snowing and 28° fahrenheit.  

Mon Jan 1: AM. A 60 min run on the Capital City Trail.  It was dark and 27°.  PM. A 35 min run on the Capital City Trail.  It was dark and 26°.

Tues Jan 2: AM. A 60 min run on residential streets in Maple Bluff and along Lake Mendota.  It was dark and 23°.  PM. A 30 min run on the Capital City Trail.  It was dark and 30°.

Wed Jan 3: AM. A 60ish min easy run with the pastry club over city and residential streets.  It was cloudy and 32°.  PM. On the track - Did 10x200m, ran a loop around Lake Wingra in 45 mins, then did another 10x200m.  It was cloudy and 33°.

Thurs Jan 4: AM. A 45 min run on residential streets along Lake Monona and on the Capital City Trail.  The sun was rising over mostly clear skies with a temp of 21°.  PM. In Middleton, A 30 min run on the South Fork Trail.  It was dark and 28°.

Fri Jan 5: AM. A 45 min run on the Capital City Trail and around Monona Bay.  It was dark and 18°.  PM. A 33 min run on the Capital City Trail.  It was dark and 31°.

Sat Jan 6: AM. A 40 min run on the Capital City Trail and on the Southwest Path.  It was snowing and 30°.  PM. Ran the Subzero 5k in 16:48.  It was cloudy and 33°.


I was a sick and injured elf on the shelf for a good chunk of December.  Early in the month I tore a muscle in my left lateral quadriceps.  After taking a week and a half off, I came down with the coronavirus disease.  This kept me on the shelf for several more days.  I am finally feeling good again and have been able to start working on getting my mileage back up there.

The Edgewood track is located on the Lake Wingra loop.  This is nice and convenient for when I feel like doing faster stuff on the track while running loops around the lake.  

On Wednesday mornings, I sometimes meet up with a group called the Pastry Club.  We run for about an hour, at a very leisure pace, then finish at a coffee shop and eat pastries.  

For the track session on Wednesday afternoon, I had planned on doing 400s and 800s, but half the track was covered in patches of snow and ice, so I was limited to doing 200s.  I’m not complaining tho; Whenever I can get in any kind of trackwork in January, I’ll consider myself fortunate.  

I had planned on running the 5k as more of a workout, going out fairly easy, then picking it up after the midway point turnaround.  I ended up doing the opposite.  A group of other runners sucked me into going out too fast and I slowed down in the second half.  1 mile in ~5:12, 2 miles in ~10:40.  Eek!  I still managed a PR and ran faster than I thought I would.  

My main aim right now is Grandma’s Marathon.  I am going to use all my training and other races this winter and spring as building blocks to set me up for running my best marathon on June 22, 2024.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sun, Sept 15-Sat, Sept 21

Sun Sept 15: AM. A 2 hour run, most of it with MSRC group, around Lake Wingra and over city and residential streets and paths. It was sunny ...